Saturday, December 25, 2010

BOXING DAY SALES.

What is the point of lining up at 6:45am in the morning to get your greasy mits from the night before's ham spread on more material posessions, when you just had the most spoiled day of the year 24 hours previous?

is it a mass amount of greed succumbing to the pressures of the "look" that "should" be achieved that is publicised so freely in society today?

Carparks get filled to the brim, people hurry around like busy little bees with their credit cards three feet in front of them ready to swipe and hopefully score a "bargain".

It is materialism gone mad, and I am not saying I am any better. I will go have a look around the shops and spend my hard earned xmas money on stupid gifts for myself, as if i havent already received so much.

Its just this hysteria on boxing day morning that has gotten me interested in the time honoured tradition of going ape shit at the signs of "30% off".

Madeline Anderson who works at General Pants and co in Pitt St was just on the phone to me telling me about the madness that is being whipped around the already busy shopping mecca.

She told me about the crowds, the lines that started just after dawn. Almost like the consumers were accepting their fate with a money bag over their head, telling their loved ones their last thoughts as they resigned themselves over to the execution of savings and deals that massive corporations have provided for them on this day. Much like a bullet to the head, the day will surely leave them with their hands full and their hearts empty.

It is an event that the news covers every year just like schoolies. A raw time to see the baser human instincts in true form. Greed, glutton and lust combined into an intoxicating cocktail to dull the senses and become one with materialism.

I cant talk, although i do acknowledge

that we are living in a material world, and i am a material girl.


No comments:

Post a Comment